Tuesday 10 July 2018

The Tutankhamun Exhibition,

High Street West, Dorchester, Dorset (England)
A Review 10 July 2018

This is a wonderful little museum in a lovely town, which recreates the Tomb of Tutankhamun as it was discovered by Howard Carter in 1922.



It reproduces faithfully the artefacts, mummy, burial chamber, and ante- chamber (including the wall paintings) and also has a section about the Rosetta Stone, embalming, who murdered the king and other interesting displays 



I found the above article in a second hand book about Tutankhamun,  the previous owner had kept this clipping from the Independent newspaper from 1998.  It reviews this exhibition:

"...offers a compact yet fascinating tribute to one of the greatest archaeological discoveries ever made....put together when damage to the original artefacts prompted the Egyptian government to cease foreign exhibitions"

There are careful reproductions of the jewellery (golden collars -17 in total worn on the mummy), famous mask, statuettes, throne and Anubis reclining on the golden sledge (my favourite).



I really recommend this museum for anyone who can't make it to Egypt to see the real artefacts and tomb. (given the current political turmoil).  It certainly delivers the wow factor.  The gift shop was also great.  No 'tat',  just quality gifts.  I wish I had time to browse the second hand Egyptology books and some new books also.  An Art Deco Egyptian Revival figurine and a Stirling Silver Ankh also caught my eye but I settled on the following:



My lovely cache of goodies (pin/postcard/glossy guide book and pencil with Anubis atop it).


The guide book is glossy and well written for only £2.95!

I would loved to have stayed much longer -as I am an Egyptology-nerd - but I had a busy toddler who was also impressed like me but was tending to run out of the museum any chance he got.... Its probably better for older children but my son wasn't fazed by the recreated mummy - he said it was yuck though!

Please support this museum so it stays open for generations to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

People at Amarna

I have recently listened to an excellent lecture by Chris Naunton  People at Amarna  -  which is about the ancient city of Ahketaten; the ar...